Tracy

New FDA rules and tobacconist

Tracy    1

Looks like the new FDA rules are really going to put a crimp into custom blended pipe tobacco that some shops do as well as smaller companies.

From what I have read, the FDA estimates that the cost of an application (which would be required for every different blend that is made) is around $6500 and then there can be (and most likely will be) additional costs.

Tobacco products that were in existence before 2007 are grandfathered in, but that leaves whole swathes of products that will either have to 

Go through testing at ridiculous expense

or

Discontinue the product line (and in some cases killing their business if it came into existence after 2007)

Established tin brands will not have any issues - but if your favorite wasn't around prior to 2007, then stock up on it - odds are the company that blends it wont' be able to afford the fees to get it approved.

Another concern is whether a vendor/shop breaking larger packages of tobacco (say a 5 pound bag) into smaller bags for the home tobacconist to do custom blends would require them to go through an application process.

Honestly - how many teenagers or young adults (in their 20's) have you seen smoking pipes or premium cigars.

Most of what I've seen are them buying their Swisher Sweets or similar in the local convenience store to dump the tobacco out and replace it with the more home grown product and turn them into what are commonly referred to as "blunts".

To me, it's just another case of "big daddy government" wanting to control the choices of adults.

Tracy    1
49 minutes ago, Johnny101 said:

Looks like the FDA has come down on the pipe smokers almost as hard as they came down on Vapers

Yeah, and they are going to kill a lot of the smaller "custom blends" that shops do.  No way that they can afford the cost of the application(s) for them.  Just another facet of big government not really thinking it through.  There should be some type of exclusion in there for the custom blends that the smaller tobacconist do.  

It's the same thing with cigars.  I know a rolling business in Austin that recently expanded to two stores.  They do a lot of custom blends/cigars.  Most of them won't comply as they are not that old.  Will probably end up putting them out of business.  The big names will be able to afford it but it will be the death of the smaller shops I'm afraid.

Tracy    1

Yeah, there is a lot of industry uproar about it amongst the Vaping crowd (business) and the pipe and cigar.  Hopefully they (the government) will see light.  It's not like you see a lot of 18 year olds running around smoking a pipe or nice cigars. 

The vaping industry is even safer than the "real" tobacco stuff.

Tracy    1

Technology advances and government do not typically blend well together.  They have a hard enough time keeping up with 10 years ago, much less the present.  Guess that's what happens when you get old guys that don't keep up with the present into power. :older_man.emoji:

Tracy    1

I see a lot of older adults doing it - but most of them are trying to ween themselves off of cigarettes.  It is a hotter thing with the younger crowd from what I understand.  Give me my good old REAL tobacco cigar or a pipe full of good English "weed".

Grumpy    3

I dont see the point of putting antifreeze in something and smoking it! Ok smoking is bad for you, but it is what it is. The whole vaping thing i just dont get, i understand those wanting to use it to give up, but the ones who buy 1000 different flavors need a slap!

Tracy    1
15 minutes ago, Grumpy said:

but the ones who buy 1000 different flavors need a slap!

I can't talk... 

I've got about 18 different types of pipe tobacco (and another 7 on order) in my collection.  Different "flavors" for different conditions.  Some are to "heavy" to just smoke on an empty stomach, and then others better fit using during yard work.  So, I can somewhat see it, but not having hundreds of different flavors - but again pipe tobacco is not much different.  

McClelland has around 230 different blends

Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.  has around 219 different blends

Lane Limited has around 100 different blends

McBaren has around 100 different blends

Hearth & Home has around 90 different blends

Dunhill has around 75 different blends

Sutliff has around 260 different blends

And those are just some of the major ones.  

Tracy    1

I recently discovered that all of Hearth & Homes Marquee blends (Pipes & Cigars custom blends) will NOT be grandfathered in.  So if you like stuff like WhiteKnight, Blackhouse, Mangum Opus, etc. then I would suggest at least stocking up on a few extra tins until it is discovered if they will submit them for testing.

Since they are a pretty good seller for Pipes & Cigars I'd be willing to bet that they will, but it really depends on a cost/profit ratio.  If they can't recover that cost over the first year or so they will either increase the price to do it or discontinue the sales of those blends.

In either case, since I'm particularly fond of WhiteKnight, Blackhouse and Magnum Opus as well as the Larry's Blend that is sold (and custom blended in house) by Pipes & Cigars - so I'm planning on stocking up on at least 10 tins of each and a few more pounds of Larry's Blend bulk (over the 5 pounds I currently have).