Tracy

McClelland Frog Morton gone

Well, looks like another couple of favorites have bit the dust.   Apparently McClelland has discontinued their Frog Morton line.
From some reading this apparently has something to do with Syrian Latakia being so hard to get (if nigh on impossible) now of good quality - and that's a large part of the blends of this tobacco line.  So, if you like this line and you come across some you had better grab all you can afford as you will not be seeing it again in the near future.

It also looks like this may have effected more of the McClelland lines of tobacco... so get it while you can.  Luckily I have some bulk that I got for blending that will last me a bit.

I've been doing some additional hunting on line for some of the McClelland blends I like and it appears that all the online shops I use (and some I haven't) are all out of stock.  So it does look like the entire McClelland line is effected.  If there are any of their blending tobaccos or blends that you like and can find in stock, I would HIGHLY suggest you grab all you can afford immediately.

I was wanting to grab some more 5110 Dark English, but I can't find it anywhere currently.  I like to blend it 5 ounces of it with 1 ounce of perique.  But looks like the little I have will be what I have from now on!  :arghh:

Found out the reason that the tobacco's are out of stock.  Apparently McClelland has closed up business.  😫

This is a letter that McClelland sent out out to their customers (business) before closing.  Guess it says it all.

The McClelland Tobacco Company is closing after 40 years. We want to thank all the retailers and pipe smokers whose support and efforts to spread their appreciation of our pipe tobaccos have taken us from a very modest beginning in Grandpa McClelland’s basement in the Fall of 1977 to a company with a worldwide reputation of quality.

We’ve made our pipe tobaccos–Virginias, Oriental mixtures, Aromatics, etc.–from the highest grades of leaf and stripped tobaccos because of their basic richness and natural sweetness. That has been the beauty of McClelland and that is now the problem. We can no longer access tobacco of the quality we need. The time-honored labor-intensive process at the farms are disappearing. The aging of leaf over several summers to mellow is largely a thing of the past. We need old school methods at every stage before manufacturing to make it possible for McClelland to draw from the leaf the flavors that have been our hallmark.

Without the supportive infrastructure our government used to provide, a small company such as ours cannot continue. We might have limped along with lesser leaf but nobody would have been happy with the resulting products and we would have been ashamed of them. We’ve sold down all of the inventory that we have been able to produce with the finest leaf.

We want to thank you, our customers, and thank our great employees—friends who have been so capable and conscientious—and thank our leaf suppliers who have made an extraordinary effort to search out the finest leaf possible for us for 40 years. We will miss McClelland and our daily contacts with our friends in the pipe community. We feel privileged to have been part of this wonderful world of the pipe for so long. The finest people we know have been, and are, pipe and tobacco people. We hope to keep up our contacts as we move on to our next phase of life. We wish everybody good luck and good fortune.

I have found a shop that shows to have around 200 tins of 100g and 50g of McClelland Frog Morton in stock.  Once I can confirm that they have it in stock I'll post their site and their contact phone number here.

Just now, Ruby said:

It’s sad to see the frog go bye bye.

I wasn't a big fan of it.  It was a nice tobacco, but I hated seeing some of their other lines go bye-bye.
I have several jars of McClellands #5110 mixed with perique in a 5:1 blend set aside that somewhat duplicates the FMC without the casing flavor profile that FMC had.  I saw that FMC was discontinued but it didn't dawn on me about the #5110 or I would have picked up a few more pounds to blend.

I hated the vinegar smell it had when you first opened it from the casing.  Once it aired out it was nice.

I have 2 tins of McClellands 2016 & 2017 Christmas blends... need to open one of them, but heck they may become "collectibles". 😜

15 minutes ago, Ruby said:

They will be worth money now.

There is already a lot of "speculation" going on eBay with the FMC cans. Tobacco is not supposed to be sold there but they are doing it in the "collectible tins" area and I guess eBay hasn't caught on that they actually contain tobacco.

A 100gr tin of FMC that went for around $16 is now $75 at one place that apparently has it in stock..

To me, that's gouging, but it is good economic sense from the stance of the company.

The same company had a tin of FM On The Town from 2006 (unopened) that they apparently sold for $180.00.