Welcome to The Pipe Stand

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Hunt3r

Cobs

4 posts in this topic

I am getting to where when I'm in a hurry but want to smoke, I grab a 6mm filter and one of my 4 cob pipes.

I really like the smoke I get from the cobs. Very good and consistent; my briars do not share the consistency.

Plus I find myself doing things where I would feel better accidentally dropping a cob, vs any of my briars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering that most cobs are a few dollars each, they are definitely a "work" type pipe.  In fact, the stems on them will give out long before the cob does for some people (those that clench a lot).

I've found that each type pipe imparts a certain "mystique" to the smoke.  For some of my aromatics I MUCH prefer a well broken in briar.  For some of the English I much prefer the meer.  But then there are some of the aro's that do better (for me) in the meer and some English in the briar.  You have to play around with them and find what is best.  Almost all of my tobacco's do well in the cob, but funnily I hardly use it any longer.

Dollar for dollar it's tough to beat a good MM cob. They smoke smooth, dry , cool and sweet. They are surprisingly durable and inexpensive. Even Mark Twain loved them !

But there are also times and perhaps blends that call out for a fine, well broken in briar. The essence of pipe smoking is the varieties of available pleasures to be experienced and enjoyed 😊

I've gotten where I keep a couple of cobs just in case someone wants to try out smoking a pipe.  I break them in using a stem off one of my "common" ones that I smoke and that way they have a fresh stem on them but none of the burn in that has to be done.