Welcome to The Pipe Stand

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Tracy

Aromatics vs English blends

4 posts in this topic

I started my recent pipe smoking experiences out with aromatics.

Stuff like Peterson , Mac Baren 7 Seas Royal, Sutliff Chocolate Supreme, Sutliff Buttered Rum, several of the Lane varieties (1Q, RLP-6, Black Raspberry) and several others.

I've also been trying out some of the English blends.  I've been sampling some Hearth & Home Cerberus, the iconic Dunhill MM 965, Dunhill Early Morning, McClelland Nine to Five (925), Hearth & Home Magnum Opus, McClelland Frog Martin and a a couple of others.

I'm finding that I personally lean a bit more towards the  English variety (including some of the Scottish blends in here).  I like the smokey, spicy taste you get and the room odor reminds me of some of the better cigars I've smoked.  If I could get away with it, I'd only smoke the English blends all the time - but I do have to keep the better half happy so I have the aromatics on hand to smoke inside the house or when we are out in public and there is the concern of complaint of others.

So far, my favorites are the Hearth & Home Cerberus, Magnum Opus and McClelland Frog Martin.  

I've got some H&H WhiteNight and BlackHouse on order to try as I've read many good things about these blends.

An  interesting one that I haven't quite figured out yet (on whether I like it or not) is my GL Pease Gaslight.  I just can't quite get a grasp on the flavor profile - and whether I like it or not.  Most of the time it's pleasant smoke, but every now and then it gets a tad "abrasive" - but this was when I was primarily smoking my aromatics.  With my swing towards the dark side I'm finding more joy in the smoking of this blend than I originally did, but there is still something I find "off" about it - but it's not a bad "off"... just different.

I'll probably keep aromatics on hand to keep the wife happy.  I don't mind some of the blends she enjoys the room odor of, but I much prefer my English blends and will continue to smoke them for my own enjoyment (albeit, while sitting outside!).

I'm curios as if many have the same experience I have had - starting out with the aromatics because that's "what we remember from _____ smoking".  I remember a couple of uncles back in my younger days that were pipe smokers - and all the tobacco had that standard vanilla/rum odor, so that's what I associated with pipe smoking.

Curios as to whether this is more a US type thing or is it similar over across the Pond where some of the better blends have originated from.

I started my recent pipe smoking experiences out with aromatics.
Stuff like Peterson Connoisseur's Choice, Mac Baren 7 Seas Royal, Sutliff Chocolate Supreme, Sutliff Buttered Rum, several of the Lane varieties (1Q, RLP-6, Black Raspberry) and several others.
I've also been trying out some of the English blends.  I've been sampling some Hearth & Home Cerberus, the iconic Dunhill MM 965, Dunhill Early Morning, McClelland Nine to Five (925), Hearth & Home Magnum Opus, McClelland Frog Martin and a a couple of others.

I'm finding that I personally lean a bit more towards the  English variety (including some of the Scottish blends in here).  I like the smokey, spicy taste you get and the room odor reminds me of some of the better cigars I've smoked.  If I could get away with it, I'd only smoke the English blends all the time - but I do have to keep the better half happy so I have the aromatics on hand to smoke inside the house or when we are out in public and there is the concern of complaint of others.

So far, my favorites are the Hearth & Home Cerberus, Magnum Opus and McClelland Frog Martin.  
I've got some H&H WhiteNight and BlackHouse on order to try as I've read many good things about these blends.

An  interesting one that I haven't quite figured out yet (on whether I like it or not) is my GL Pease Gaslight.  I just can't quite get a grasp on the flavor profile - and whether I like it or not.  Most of the time it's pleasant smoke, but every now and then it gets a tad "abrasive" - but this was when I was primarily smoking my aromatics.  With my swing towards the dark side I'm finding more joy in the smoking of this blend than I originally did, but there is still something I find "off" about it - but it's not a bad "off"... just different.

I'll probably keep aromatics on hand to keep the wife happy.  I don't mind some of the blends she enjoys the room odor of, but I much prefer my English blends and will continue to smoke them for my own enjoyment (albeit, while sitting outside!).

I'm curios as if many have the same experience I have had - starting out with the aromatics because that's "what we remember from _____ smoking".  I remember a couple of uncles back in my younger days that were pipe smokers - and all the tobacco had that standard vanilla/rum odor, so that's what I associated with pipe smoking.
Curios as to whether this is more a US type thing or is it similar over across the Pond where some of the better blends have originated from.

I think I prefer the aromatics.

I honestly think for me, the English ones I have smoked are a little too bold for an "anywhere anytime" smoke, like you mentioned as to not put off others.

I like that the English blends I have tried so far are much easier to smoke. For me, I have to be in a spicy smoky mood for it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suspect many pipe smokers follow this pattern. Like myself, they start with aros and run through the usual suspects: The captain, 1Q, etc. and then dabble with more expensive tinned aros like Molto Dolce and the like.  Seeking variety led me, strangely enough to burley as I heard about the many simple pleasures to be found in Carter Hall and Prince Albert smoked in a cob with good coffee. And I thoroughly enjoyed this experience as well. Then seeking something new I ordered a tin of Balkan Sasieni as I was fascinated by the concept of Balkan blends and had a bad experience previously with some Lat bomb of an English that had made me gun shy for some time. 😳  I discovered that Latakia can be delightful when employed as a condiment - complimenting tangy oriental leaf and sweet grassy Virginias. So now I'm all in with the Balkan blends and for now almost exclusively smoking my briars again. Lol.  Recently I tried to revisit my cob and burley period and could not for the life of me figure out what I had enjoyed so much !  Lol. Don't get me wrong, I still also enjoy my cobs but it seems that these Balkan blends really do shine in my Savinellis. ☺️

Methinks that is the wonderful thing about pipe smoking - we learn by experience that our tastes change and that everybody's taste / palette is different and uniquely their own. We learn to honor individuality and our own processes. 

Gotta try the Frog Morton line. Which one do you prefer? Which one would you say is the most Balkan?