Grumpy

Had one

Grumpy    3

Years ago i tried smoking a pipe, i was 20!! I worked with a much older scientist at the time, who was technically retired but had stayed on to train me. We were really good mates and he used to smoke a pipe and visit Egypt alot, on one of his trips he brought me back a superb pipe that was hand carved and even back then cost a fortune.

I only used it a few times and it ended up in the shed at my parents house, its likely to still be there! sadly my dad died 10 years ago and i havnt spoken to my mother for nearly 8 years, its unlikely i will see the pipe again which is a shame, as the guy who got it for me is responsible for me becoming a world class scientist.

But i live in hope and maybe one i will be reunited with it. Having now reached the age i dont care what people think, modern pipes are not easy to get and the one i have has alot of sentimental value.

Tracy    1

I somewhat know the feeling, but more-so with some Zippo lighters that I have that were my fathers.

Meerschaums are really nice smokers from what I understand but I've never had the pleasure of smoking one.  It's on my list of "to get" but I keep finding to many briars that I like at good prices. :x

If you have any brothers/sisters that are on good terms you may want to see if they can check on the pipe.  If not, it might be worthwhile to reach out to your mother, if only to see about getting the pipe. 

Grumpy    3

When my dad died i ended up falling out with my family, i dont think any of us realized he was the glue for years that held us all together. My mum is very old and i should try and make it right, but truth is the longer it takes the harder it gets.

As family bust ups go it was a big un, even lost contact with two of my eldest daughters!! Still i guess its no different to many people. I dont know much about the pipes, i do know that back in the early 80's when i got it the price was eye watering! No idea what they cost now but it was so well carved with a bearded face on, the bowl was the turbine and the bottom of the beard was the stand, a great pipe with alot of happy memories.

Tracy    1
3 minutes ago, Grumpy said:

My mum is very old and i should try and make it right, but truth is the longer it takes the harder it gets.

This is very much so... had a brother in a similar situation with my mother.  Finally convinced him he needed to come down to see her (she was in a nursing home) because she was declining in health.  He kept putting it off and I finally told him he could either come visit her while she could "talk" or she could come visit her as she was being planted in the ground.  He came down and about 1 1/2 months later she passed.  He called me later thanking me for being an "ass" and forcing him to come down.

The meerschaums go from around $40 to upwards of a few thousand.  Those on the high end are typically more "collector" grade.  I couldn't imaging smoking one that expensive unless my last name was Trump or similar.

There is a link to several vendors in the Vendor Directory.  Right now most of them are US based, but I'm slowly finding some in the UK to add in.  Have to do the same for several of the other "major" countries as time allows.

Grumpy    3

I was under the impression the best came from Egypt, i cant remember where i got the information from, it was likely from Allen the guy that got it for me. The more i think about it the more i am sure it cost around £200 back in 1984 ish, which obviously was a huge amount of money then. My wages from then (and i was on a good wage) were around £85 a week take home pay lol.

Tracy    1
3 minutes ago, Grumpy said:

I was under the impression the best came from Egypt

The best actually comes from Turkey.  It's been known for it's meerschaum for a long time. The first recorded use of it for pipes was in the early 1700's.

Think that Turkey has banned the exportation of meerschaum now and to get a "real" Turkish meerschaum you have to buy one of the Turkish made ones.

Eventually I'll grab one... but I have a tendency to get rough on stuff and they are really easy to break.  Would have to be a "computer room" pipe for me.

Grumpy    3

Yes your right!!! for some reason time has put Egypt in mind!! It was indeed Turkey he was a regular visitor too! thanks for that it has restored some shaky memories :D.